Veterinary Care provided exclusively at all Biscuits & Bath locations
Halloween is a spooktacular time of the year, but there are common hazards that your pet could be exposed to that you should keep an eye out for:
CHOCOLATE - Clinical signs of a chocolate toxicity range from vomiting and diarrhea in low doses, to hyperthermia, cardiac arrhythmias, pancreatitis and respiratory failure in high doses. The darker the chocolate the more dangerous it can be. In severe cases it can be fatal.
XYLITOL - This sweetener is present in products from gum to sugar-free cookies. Even in small amounts, ingestion can cause low blood sugar, seizures, liver failure, and in some cases be life-threatening.
CANDY WRAPPERS - Ingestion of foil or cellophane wrappers can cause a life-threatening bowel obstruction, which could require surgery to correct. Watch for vomiting, decreased appetite, not defecating, straining to defecate, or lethargy. X- Rays may be necessary to diagnose this problem.
COSTUMES - If you dress your pet in a costume, be sure it doesn’t impair their vision, movement or air intake. If the costume contains metallic beads, snaps or other small pieces, be aware that if ingested, some metals (especially zinc and lead) can result in serious poisoning. Also, don’t be tempted to dye or apply coloring to your pet’s fur. Even if the dye is labeled non-toxic to humans, it could still be harmful to pets. NEVER leave your pet unattended in a costume!
CANDLES - Wagging tails or curious paws can easily knock over candles. We never recommend leaving a candle unattended with a pet in the room.
For questions or to book an appointment with NY Vet Practice, call (212) 401 3025 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.